Owned and operated by the City, Velocity Broadband is the fastest and most reliable Internet in Hudson. No other service can compare. The Gigabit speeds are available because of our all-fiber network. Some companies claim to have "fiber-backed" networks, but their fiber is on the back end, not all the way to your business, and that's where the fiber makes a difference. At some point in other companies' networks, they switch to DSL or Copper and Coax Cable, which causes delivery to slow down.
- Bits - the basic unit of information in computing. Network speeds are measured in bits per second.
- 1 Kilobit (Kbps) = 1,000 bits transferred per second (bps). Dial-up connections are 56 bits.
- 1 Megabit (Mbps) = 1,000,000 bps.
- 1 Gigabit (Gbps) = 1,000,000 bps. about 10 seconds to download an HD movie.
- Bytes - the base unit for file size and used in computing monthly caps.
- Basic Broadband - FCC definition is 25 Mbps downstream; 4 Mbps upstream.
- Download - the speed at which your computer sends data.
- Upload - the speed at which your computer sends data.
- Symmetric Connections - have comparable upload and download speeds. DSL and cable often have upload speeds 5 - 10 times slower than downloads. Businesses increasingly need symmetric connections to maximize productivity.
Fiber-Optic vs. Traditional Networks
|Fiber-Optic Network||Cable & DSL Networks|
|The Gold Standard in the industry. The fastest Internet speeds available today.||DSL uses copper telephone lines to deliver Internet access.|
|Laser shoots pulses of light across thin strands of glass.||DSL/Cable technology is unreliable. Interrupted service means lost revenue.|
|Fiber-optic networks are reliable, resilient and use technology that allows for nearly unlimited expansion. As your business grows, so can your Internet network.||Cable uses a cable network with upload speeds varying from 1 - 3 Mbps. Some offer 100 Mbps down and only 10 Mbps up. Networks are shared, meaning you might not get the advertised speeds during peak times.|
|Fiber lasts for decades, and your operating costs are lower than cable or DSL.||Wireless Internet access is a complement to a wired network, not a substitute.|
How Do I Sign Up for Velocity Broadband Service?
The entire Velocity Broadband team has been great to work with. Maureen, Will and the rest of the team are very committed to the success of this project and it shows.President & CEO of LTech Solutions Lee Barnhouse